Maybe one day we can get together and eat a bunch of caramels.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

State of the Dallas Mavericks

You know, the more I think about it, the more I put the blame of what happend to the Mavs on Jason Terry. I like the guy and think he's a great player, but isn't it the Point Guard's job to run the offense? I don't know about you, but I never saw any type of offensive outside of trying to get guys open on simple Isolation plays. Did you? Look at Steve Nash or Jason Kidd. Those guys run offenses, know where guys are supposed to be and have a buttload of assists.
Maybe it's Avery Johnson's fault for running too simple of an offensive scheme? Who knows. Just a thought I was having. As you can tell, I'm still not all the way over this.



Now that I think about it, maybe that's the real issue here. Watch a Mavs game and try to find the offense. They score points, but it's usually because one or two guys get hot or they have a mismatch somewhere. The Point Guard is the guy who makes it all happen on the offensive side. You can't blame Dirk (at least not totally; he did play pretty poorly).

I think either Avery got too caught up in Don Nelson's ridiculous mind games and overthought everything (very likely), or JT failed to effectivley execute his offensive scheme.

We need some serious gamers on the roster next season. Bring back Jason Kidd! Hell, we could have still had Steve Nash had we decided to pay him what he was worth. What kills me is that Cuban balked at paying Nash, but then went and spent $73 mil over seven years on Erick Freakin' Dampier. I'm not joking. That's what they paid that guy! Seventy Three MILLION!! You how much Nash signed for with the Suns's? $65 million for five years.


Dampier - $10.4 million per year

Nash - $13 million per year

Don't you think Nash is worth the extra $2.7 million? I sure do. He runs the Suns' high powered offense, while Damp averaged 7.9 minutes per game against the Warriors.


GOOD MOVE CUBAN!!

On second thought, maybe the blame should be put on Mark Cuban for not having the balls to give Nash what he was worth.

Sounds good to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger DREW! said...

I don't know who Dampier is, indeed, I know very little about the state of the NBA in general.

I do know, however, that if the Yankees will pay old man Clemens $28 million to play half a season (I heard a report on NPR that if you average out the number of starts in that time, average number of innings, and average number of pitches, he will be earning about $7,500 every time he throws the ball!), the Mavs can pony up the dough for Nash.

I feel bad. Until I read this post, I thought the Mavs were still in this thing. Sorry for letting you down.

3:35 PM

 
Blogger Amy Butler said...

I'm sorry to say that I did not read this blog. Don't be offended though. I just can't sit and read about sports. Once I didn't read a good portion Jeremy's blog because he started rambling about baseball:

http://goinjukin.blogspot.com/2004/09/soon-to-be-framed-above-my.html#comments

Other than that, I remain one of your faithful blog readers.

10:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home