Maybe one day we can get together and eat a bunch of caramels.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Now I Know, You Know?

A friend at work sent me a link to YouTube video the other day. It's a fairly interesting and thought-provoking clip. It's kinda long (6:06 min), but I think it's worth a look. After you're done, I've provided the link to the sources used. The guy responsible for this video is named Carl Fisch, and his blog is at the following address: http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com

I took a few minutes to check out his blog, and it appears he is an educator in a public school system. Seems innocent enough, I suppose. There's not a lot of personal info on him; it's just mainly about his classes and whatnot.

I suggest taking the time to watch the entire video. It really made me think. However, I'd really like to take some time and go through the sources he used, just so I know where its coming from.

Anyway, here it is....




Here's the link to his sources ---- right here.


My apologies if you have all already seen and heard of this and I'm just late to the party.

Feel free to roast me in form of a comment. Good day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Trent, I doubt most of these numbers are very significant. For example, the bit about information doubling and all that... there has always been much more information in the world then we could ever take in. The internet just makes us more aware of what we didn't know before. Most of that is pointless information anyway. I have always had green eyes, but when you add that tidbit to my personal yahoo profile, suddenly that "new information" stat goes up. We have billions of new facts every second, some of which will wind up on the net, but most of which I can't classify as information.

And let's face it. most of those gillions of bits are conversations between the likes of hoTstough69 and Greatbrittanyfan1 concerning whether or not Tom from Social Studies looks more like Kenan or Kel. I would hardly call those "bits of information."

Any inconsequential state can be made to look overwhelming if you pt it in the proper light.

By the way, I am not surprised that each myspace page gets 33 hits, but i suspect most of those are by the owner of the page, looking for new messages.

2:19 PM

 
Blogger DREW! said...

I can assure you most of these numbers are exceedingly insignificant. Jason made some very cogent points, in that most of what is technically considered "information" shouldn't be viewed as such. Remember those grocery store machines that dispensed prizes concealed in a plastic egg for a twenty-five cent fee? Remember ever getting fleeced by an egg with no prize inside? That's how I see most "information" these days. What, with every media outlet in the country covering the traveling Anna Nichole Smith death circus or Britanny Spears' hairless drug/alcohol-induced shenanigans, real information doesn't stand a chance.Then you find yourself standing in the sweltering Grab 'N Bag parking lot with a melting ice cream sandwich in one hand and an empty plastic egg in the other and think, What did I do to deserve this? All I wanted was a shell with something good inside--something meaningful I can use in my day-to-day life.

And it may be nitpicking, but this guy could use a lesson in how to display information, at that. It's hard to take his sub-par PowerPoint presentation seriously.

One more thing: I thought we already created a computer that could exceed the capacity of the human mind, so the thought that it hasn't happened yet isn't really very unnerving.

"Televisions of today are getting bigger and bigger, and smaller and smaller. Soon, the medium-size TV will be a thing of the past."

-Dale Gribble, King of the Hill

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Yeah, the computer thing... I have never been able to process information at blazing Intel Core Duo 2 speeds. And I doubt Bobby Fisher could beat Chessmaster 3000. Is this guy predicting that they're going to evolve actual intelligence? Seriously, i think he might be.

2:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home